Recess at Tilden is wonderfully active. All Tilden students have 45 minutes of free-play recess after lunch every day. First grade and Kindergarten students also have a morning recess. Children play across grades like multi-aged neighborhood play. They organize structured games, invent new games, create imaginative play, and move a lot.
We use our fenced-off parking lot, and Dakota Place Park across the street, as playground areas. Once the parking lot is clear of morning drop-off vehicles, additional gates are set in place for extra safety and blocking run-a-way balls. All sorts of balls, ropes, rockers, hula hoops, tether balls, skippies, etc., are available for play.
The Head of School, and three or four other teachers and aids, provide supervision and consistency. Recess begins with a short, whole-group discussion focused on playground behavior or school concerns.
- find a way to include everyone
- be honest about being “out”
- playing by the rules makes games more fun for everyone
- name-calling and bullying are not allowed
- speak up if something happens to you that you don’t like
- get adult help if trying to solve a problem on your own doesn’t work—don’t wait and just hope things will get better