Recess at Tilden is wonderfully active. All Tilden students have 45 minutes of free-play recess after lunch every day. First grade and Kindergarten students also have a morning recess. Children play across grades like multi-aged neighborhood play. They organize structured games, invent new games, create imaginative play, and move a lot.
We use our fenced-off parking lot, and Dakota Place Park across the street, as playground areas. Once the parking lot is clear of morning drop-off vehicles, additional gates are set in place for extra safety and blocking run-a-way balls. All sorts of balls, ropes, rockers, hula hoops, tether balls, skippies, etc., are available for play.
The principal and 3 or 4 other teachers and aids provide supervision and consistency. Recess begins with a short, whole-group discussion focused on playground behavior or school concerns.
- find a way to include everyone
- be honest about being “out”
- playing by the rules makes games more fun for everyone
- name-calling and bullying are not allowed
- speak up if something happens to you that you don’t like
- get adult help if trying to solve a problem on your own doesn’t work—don’t wait and just hope things will get better